Prior to joining Academia, Professor Huitink spent more than 5 years in industry, working in microelectronics technology development and manufacturing at Intel Corporation, where he served as Quality & Reliability Engineering Program Manager for Intel's Custom Foundry Division. There he pioneered the development of advanced methods of predicting reliability of silicon-based flip chip microelectronic packages, as well as developed testing protocols and FEA methods for governing Design for Reliability (DfR) guidance. Additionally, he has patent applications filed in Low Z-height Electronic System design and thermal optimization of space limited electronic systems. Currently, Professor Huitink serves as an Associate Editor of Microelectronics Reliability Journal.
Prior to his industry experience, Dr. Huitink received his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M University as a NSF Graduate Research Fellow, working on complex nano-scale interactions at material interfaces under chemical and mechanical influence. His graduate work included carbon nanomaterial (CNTs and graphene) synthesis techniques, as well as studying nanoscale surface phenomena of sol-gel prepared metallic nanoparticles and interfacial behaviors under contact loading at the nanoscale.
Applied Materials for Power Electronic Optimization
- Test development and analysis of interfacial stress induced reliability failures
- Electronic Packaging design and operational enhancement for high temperature reliability
- Thermal dissipation enhancement using nanostructured materials for heat transfer
Multi-Physical Material Interactions
- Mechanical, thermal, & chemical interactions in novel nanostructured material systems
- Mechanochemical Synthesis techniques for generating novel materials and metastable films with unique electro-optical properties
- Nanocomposites and Nanofluids for enhanced Thermal and Mechanical behaviors
MEEG 2303: Introduction to Materials
MEEG 591V: Electronics Reliability
MEEG491V: Advances in Materials Technology for Thermal Management
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering - Texas A&M University, 2011
Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering - Texas A&M University, 2007
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering - Texas A&M University, 2006
- Cristancho, D., Zhou, Y., Cooper, R., Huitink, D., Aksoy, F., Liu, Z., Liang, H., (2013) Seminario, J. “Degradation of Polyvinal alcohol under Mechanothermal Stretching.” J. Molecular Modeling. 19, 3245-3253.
- Konomi, B., Dhavala, S., Huang, J., Kundu, S., Huitink, D., Liang, H., Ding, Y., Mallick, B. (2013) Bayesian Object Classification of Gold Nanoparticles.” Annals of Applied Statistics. 7 (2), 640-668.
- Huitink, D., Dominguez-Ontiveros, E.E., and Hassan, Y. (2012) “The Bubble Fossil Record: Insight into Boiling Nucleation using Nanofluid Pool-Boiling.” Heat and Mass Transfer. 48(2), 267-274.
- Zhou, Y. Huitink, D. and Liang, H. “Lubrication Behavior of Slug Mucus.” (2012) ASTM: Materials Performance and Characterization. 1(1), 0021-0029.
- Park, C., Huang, J., Huitink, D., Kundu, S., Mallick, B., Liang, H. and Ding, Y. (2012) “A Multistage, Semi-automated Procedure for Analyzing the Morphology of Nanoparticles” IIE Transactions. 44(7), 507-522.
- Huitink, D., Zarrin, T., Sanders, M., Kundu, S. and Liang, H. (2011) “Effects of Particle-induced Crystallization on Tribological Behavior of Polymer Nanocomposites.” ASME Journal of Tribology. 133(2), 021603-021612.
- Huitink, D., Gao, F., and Liang, H., (2010) “Tribo-Electrochemical Surface Modification of Tantalum using In Situ AFM Techniques.” Scanning. 32(5) 336-344. (Invited)
- Huitink, D., Gao, F., Wang, K. and Liang, H. (2010), "In Situ Monitoring of Tantalum during Electrochemical-Mechanically Induced Oxidation", Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters. 13(9), F16-F19.
- Kundu, S., Huitink, D., Wang, K. and Liang, H. (2010), "Photochemical formation of electrically conductive silver nanowires on polymer scaffolds", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 344(2), 334-342.
- Kundu, S., Huitink, D. and Liang, H. (2010), "Formation of electrically conductive palladium nanowires on polymer scaffolds by photochemical approach", Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 360(1-3), 129-136.
- Kundu, S., Huitink, D. and Liang, H. (2010), "Formation and catalytic application of electrically conductive Pt nanowires", Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 114(17), 7700-7709.
- Huitink, D., Kundu, S., Park, C., Mallick, B., Huang, J.Z. and Liang, H. (2010), "Nanoparticle shape evolution identified through multivariate statistics", Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 114(17), 55965600.
- Kundu, S., Wang, K., Huitink, D. and Liang, H. (2009), "Photoinduced formation of electrically conductive thin palladium nanowires on DNA scaffolds", Langmuir. 25(17), 10146-10152.
- Huitink, D., Peng, L., Ribeiro, R. and Liang, H. (2009), "In situ observation of stress-induced Au-Si phase transformation", Applied Physics Letters. 94(18), 183111 (183113 pp.).
- Huitink, David, and Alan Lucero. "Semi-empirical stress/energy-based acceleration of temperature cycling failure." Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2015 IEEE International. IEEE, 2015.
- Aggarwal, Ankur, Enamul, K., Huitink, D., Sinha, N., Armagan, E., & Cao, K. . "Coupled accelerated stress tests for comprehensive field reliability—Synergistic effects of moisture and temperature cycling." Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2015 IEEE International. IEEE, 2015.
- Huitink, D., Enamul, K., Rangaraj, S., & Lucero, A. “Acceleration of chip-Package failures in temperature cycling.” Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2014 IEEE International (pp. 2F-4). IEEE, 2014.
- Lucero, A. E., G. Xu, and D. Huitink. "Low-K-package integration challenges and options for reliability qualification." Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2012 IEEE International. IEEE, 2012.
- D. Huitink, J. Sweeney, C. Ortiz, Y. A. Hassan, R. Gauntt, Spray interaction with aerosolized contaminant. Proceedings of the American Nuclear Society, Reno, NV, United states, (2008), pp. 796-797.
- D. Huitink, C. Ortiz, Y. A. Hassan, High speed flow visualization of spray suppression containment safety systems. Proceedings of the American Nuclear Society, Anaheim, CA, United states, (2008), pp. 624-625.
- D. Huitink, Y. A. Hassan, Thermal-fluid phenomena in reactor cavity cooling systems. Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 99 (2008) 848-849.
- S. D. Fortenberry, E. E. Dominguez-Ontiveros, D. R. Huitink, Y. A. Hassan, The temporal evolution of nanoparticle suspensions. Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 99 (2008) 785.
- D. R. Huitink, S. K. Sinha, D. Banerjee, Precise control of carbon nanotube synthesis of a single chirality. Proceedings of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Seattle, WA, United states, (2008), pp. 527-534.D.
- Huitink, D. Banerjee, S. K. Sinha, Nanolithography of metal catalysts by dip pen nanolithography. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, USA, (2007), pp. 6556065561.
NSF Graduate Research Fellow (2007-2011)
Texas A&M Graduate Diversity Fellow (2008-2011)
Texas A&M Graduate Merit Fellow (2006-2007)
National Merit Scholar (2002-2006)
BSA Eagle Scout (2001)